The key to having flawless, healthy skin is by practicing good skin care daily. This includes protecting your skin from the harsh rays from the sun and gently cleansing your skin regularly. By doing so, you can keep your skin healthy, clean, and glowing. With the countless skincare products available on the market, it seems like every brand is claiming to be the best face moisturizer, cleanser, toner, or other skincare product.
Fortunately, you do not need to break the bank on expensive exfoliators or magical procedures to get the best skin care. In fact, many of the best skincare tips are affordable and easy to remember. Keep reading for our list of the top X healthy skin care tips that can help to delay aging and prevent a variety of skin problems.
It may seem harmless to spend some time out in the sun, but unprotected exposure to the sun can lead to wrinkles, age spots, and other skin conditions over time. One of the most important rules of skin care is to protect yourself from the sun’s harmful UV rays. For the most complete protection from sun exposure, you should:
- Use sunscreen on your face and body – Sunscreen is a powerful tool to add to your custom skin care routine. You should use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 15. There are sunscreen products that can provide sun-protection for your face, lips, and skin. Apply your sunscreen generously and reapply every couple of hours, or more frequently if you are swimming or sweating. Some face moisturizers come with SPF for better sun protection.
- Seek shade from the sun – The sun’s rays are typically the harshest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Try to stay indoors during this time frame or find shelter from the sun under some shade.
- Wear clothing that protects from the sun – If you are expecting to be out in the sun for an extended period, you should wear protective clothing that covers your skin from the sun. Some clothing that can be beneficial for sun protection include tightly woven long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and wide-brimmed hats.
According to many dermatologists, it is important to use a personalized skincare routine that works best for your skin type. Using a gentle skin cleanser is important for sensitive skin care to avoid irritation. If you have oily or acne-prone skin, consider using a salicylic gel or benzoyl peroxide wash is an effective choice.
If your skin is drier and more mature, consider using a milky cleanser or a moisturizing glycolic. Brightening washes such as an alpha hydroxy acid can be useful for dealing with brown spots or melasma on the skin.
A common mistake that people make when they are first starting to use skincare products is using too many products at once. It can be counterproductive to overuse skincare products because it can clog your pores and lead to more breakouts and irritation. Avoid layering on multiple skincare products and make sure you wash adequately after using products on your face.
Our skin deals with a lot every day and years of daily washing and shaving can end up taking a toll on your skin over time. The best way to reduce the stress and damage on your skin is to be gentle when you are cleansing and handling your skincare. Here are some effective ways to keep your skincare routine gentle:
- Use a sensitive moisturizer – Sensitive moisturizers like the Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer are effective in dealing with dry skin, which can be damaging over time.
- Avoid strong soaps and perfumes – Soaps and detergents with strong chemicals can potentially strip the oil from you skin. Avoid harsh products and choose mild cleansers instead.
- Be careful while shaving – It is important to protect and lubricate your skin before shaving by applying an even coat of shaving cream, lotion, or gel. Try to use a sharp razor to get the closest shave possible. Shave in the same direction as your hair grows to avoid irritation.
- Limit your bath time – Hot water from showers or baths can remove oils from your skin over time, so you should try to limit the time you spend cleaning up. It can also be helpful to use warm water as opposed to hot water while showering or bathing.
Your diet plays a major role in your skin’s health and your overall wellbeing. Eating a balanced and healthy diet is a good way to keep your skin looking its best. You should try to eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins than anything else. Nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acid have also proven to be helpful for skin care. Eating more leafy greens is also effective for keeping your skin looking its best. Some healthy foods that can help strengthen your skincare routine include:
- Fatty fish
- Leafy greens
- Red or yellow bell peppers
- Green Tea
Smoking is also a significant factor that can affect how your skin looks and feels. Regularly smoking can lead to wrinkles and can make your skin look older over time.
Additionally, smoking damages collagen and elastin which are the fibers in your skin that give it strength and elasticity. Quitting smoking can reduce your risk of skin-related conditions and can improve your overall health.
Stress plays a significant role in your skin health and uncontrolled stress can trigger acne breakouts or lead to other skin problems. To promote strong skin, you should try to manage your stress and maintain a healthy and calm state of mind. Some steps you can take to reduce your stress levels include getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, and working a manageable amount.
Taking some time to enjoy a hobby or other recreational activity can also help to reduce your overall stress levels. While it may not seem significant, reducing your stress can have a dramatic impact on your skin health.