If you have a specific mental health issue that you need assistance with, the best way to find a counselor is to look for someone who specializes in your area of concern. Finding a professional who specializes in the type of treatment you are looking for can be a great place to start your search.
Some of the most common mental health conditions that therapists specialize in include:
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) – A wide range of mental health professionals are qualified to treat the effects of PTSD. For example, psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, and licensed mental health counselors are all able to treat PTSD. However, these types of mental health professionals are typically not allowed to prescribe medication.
If you are looking for treatment for PTSD, it can be beneficial to find a clinical psychologist that specializes in that area. Only psychiatrists are qualified to prescribe medications in addition to offering other forms of PTSD treatment.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) – Certain mental health professionals are specially trained to help treat people with OCD in addition to psychologists and psychiatrists. The best therapist for a patient with OCD will be one with prior experience of treating OCD or using effective treatment options such as response prevention and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) – Socialized anxiety disorders are some of the most common mental health issues that Americans face today. As such, there are a wide variety of different professionals who are qualified to treat these disorders including licensed psychologists, social workers, marriage counselors, and family therapists.
- Eating disorders – These are complex mental health disorders that affect your relationship with food, and they can potentially have dangerous effects on your health if untreated. It is important to find a psychotherapist that has experience treating patients with eating disorders.
- Relationship counseling – Therapists who specialize in helping treating couples or people in intimate relationships. The right couples’ therapists will be able to work with both partners and will have received specialized training to help couples who are having issues in their relationships. Look for a clinical psychologist or therapist who is accredited by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT).
If you do not require any specialized treatment, you should consider your goals for therapy and how you want it to impact your life. Finding a good therapist can be beneficial for everybody, even if they are not currently undergoing any mental health issues.